Dear reader, happy new year! Or as we say in Russian, s novim godom, s novim schastyem (to a new year, and new luck). Renewal is in the air, and I couldn’t be more excited to move forward into the future. I have a lot of hopes and expectations from this year, and I’d like to share some of them with you through my New Year’s resolutions.
2014 wasn’t an easy year for a lot of people I know. There were births and marriage announcements, but also some tough times and fights. There was sickness and health, but luckily, more of the latter. There were moves and new jobs, people quitting and people being let go. There were new couches and old dishes, and a good deal of reuse, reduce, recycle – alongside Ikea purchases. 2014 was a year of tightened string purses, but also of money invested into things that we hope will, one day, bear fruit.
For me, 2014 was a year of risk-taking. I spent most of it blazing of new trails and exploring parts of myself that I never knew existed, and cultivated qualities I had always hoped to have: courage, patience, and forgiveness towards myself and others. Without being cryptic, here’s what 2014 brought me:
- A move to a new city
- A new job
- Exciting partnerships and freelance relationships with two great publications (The Main and Thrillist).
- New friends
- The growth of my blog from a hobby to something that could, one day, become my livelihood
- A posting schedule that grew from a sporadic two to a solid three times a week (M, W, F!)
- My first blog sponsor – thank you, NaturSource, for your support and great products that fuel my brain and creativity!
- A stronger, more committed relationship
- The first wedding and the birth of the first baby in my group of high school friends
- My first IKEA purchases
- Hope towards the future
- Physical distance from good friends whom I really miss
- A dwindling bank account
- Sickness in my family
- Doubt, fear and anxiety
It’s definitely been a whirlwind.
So to combat the latter, I will do what I do best when times get stressful: I will make a list. I am going to share with you my New Year’s resolutions for the upcoming month, and for the 11 to follow. I will set my intentions for this blog, but also for life outside of it. Though I may not complete everything I have set out to do, committing these items to the blogosphere means that I will have thousands of you guys checking up on it, making sure I am sticking to my guns and holding steadfast in my commitments. Will you be my New Year’s resolutions police?
So here we go. In 2015, I will…
- Complete a month on the paleo diet – more on this to come, but I intend to commit the first month of this year to a cleanse via a paleo diet, with slight modification: I won’t omit tofu, and possibly beans, from my diet (as a vegetarian, I imagine it would be very hard for me to get my proteins and energy otherwise).
- Incorporate ads into the site – more on this to come, but if you’re interested in advertising now, let me know – the rates for the first month will be VERY affordable.
- Get back into a yoga routine.
- Attempt to rope Greg into getting a Y membership with me. He keeps promising, but I need you guys to help me commit him 😉
- Take a photo with my smartphone every. single. day – my smartphone photography is atrocious. Here’s to hoping practice will make perfect!
- Go entirely offline and off the phone for one whole weekend.
These are the New Year’s resolutions I have set before me now, as I look towards the days of 2015. I was trying to get to 10, but then I realized it would be silly to just incorporate things I don’t have a burning desire to do. These ones? They’re burning alright.
What do you think of these? And what are your resolutions for 2015?