Though it may not be obvious from this blog, I am actually really into cocktails. Alcoholic infusions, simple syrups in bizarre flavours, shrubs, sours made with actual egg whites - those are only some of the experiments that go on in my kitchen on a regular basis. From rhubarb to thyme, negronis to martinis, I am an equal opportunist when it comes to good, not-too-sweet, strong cocktails.
As all things, I get my love of cocktails from my father. For as long as I can remember, my father was always tinkering with drinks: collecting vintage wines, buying alcohol from foreign countries, playing with his first mixology set. Five years ago, my parents even gutted their entryway to install an old-fashioned bar... And if that's not the mark of a true cocktail hobbyist, then I don't know what is!
He started making cocktails right then and there... and the drinks just keep on coming. At first, he relied on prepared flavour mixes and strange liquors from the 80s (blue curacao, anyone?). All of his cocktails tasted like overly sweet mints, if sweet mints were filled with a shot of vodka strong enough to knock out a bull. But as he got more confident, his drinks improved in finesse and ratios, flavour combinations and even presentation (gone were the fluorescent green umbrella cocktails).
As a result, my alcohol consumption skyrockets whenever I visit my parents.
In honour of Cinco de Mayo and upcoming Mother's Day this weekend, I decided to throw together a round-up of some of my favourite cocktails from around the web. Because sometimes, you don't need food to celebrate.... And there's no better way to treat MY mother than a good cocktail (or two).
- My favourite drink is always and forever a negroni...
- ...Though I wouldn't say no to a negroni spritz.
- My second favourite drink is anything that took forever to make and involves a complicated infusion. Like this DIY ginger liqueur.
- I love anything with herbs and unexpected ingredients. If you thought celery didn't belong in cocktails, you were wrong - behold, this celery-citrus spritzer.
- Continuing the herbaceous trend is this spicy senorita white wine spritzer. Jalapeno and cilantro in a drink? Count me in.
- Because it's Cinco de Mayo, you gotta have some margaritas: mint-watermelon-cucumber, hibiscus-ginger, and even a virgin meyer lemon-mango one.
- But really, in summer, all I want is sangria.
What are your favourite cocktails? Let's get mixing!