This easy air fryer asparagus recipe will give you crispy asparagus Ottolenghi style with butter, almonds and capers that tastes just like roasted in a fraction of the time! Make this easy healthy side dish for your family as soon as asparagus season begins.
Celebrate fresh spring produce with this air fryer asparagus, almonds, and capers recipe. An Ottolenghi-inspired recipe, this seasonal dish showcases delicious asparagus and is a huge favorite in my house. My son Leo actually loves it so much that he practically demands I buy asparagus each time he sees it in the store. Cooking asparagus in the air fryer makes this decadent dish an easy weeknight staple.
When it comes to my recipes, I’m most often inspired by my travels or childhood memories. However, this almond asparagus recipe was inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi - an Israeli chef known for his British restaurants and numerous cookbooks. His books like Flavor and Jerusalem: A Cookbook are filled with beautiful recipes. His work is the inspiration behind my Chicken Marbella and this asparagus recipe, which is an adaptation of Ottolenghi’s asparagus recipe from, Ottolenghi Simple.
The Health Benefits of Asparagus
Asparagus is a nutrient rich food with relatively low calories. Filled with important vitamins and minerals like folate, potassium, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C, asparagus can help lower blood pressure, protect bone health, and ensure you’re getting plenty of antioxidants. Asparagus is also filled with fiber to improve your digestive health and help keep your cholesterol in check.
Why I Love Cooking Asparagus in the Air Fryer
Cooking asparagus in the air fryer is such a wonderful alternative to roasting or sautéeing asparagus. Air fryer asparagus can be cooked in a matter of minutes and cleaned up in even less time. Plus, asparagus in an air fryer doesn’t require lots of oil or butter to cook, making it a healthier alternative to traditional cooking methods.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED to make Air Fryer Asparagus
- cooking spray
- salt and black pepper
- sliced almonds
See recipe cards for exact quantities.
How to Make Asparagus in an Air Fryer
Preparing the Asparagus:
Begin by preheating your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for approximately 5 minutes. While the air fryer is heating up, wash the asparagus thoroughly and trim off the tough ends. Pat the spears dry using a kitchen towel. Once dry, place the asparagus in a single layer on the air fryer basket. Lightly coat them with cooking spray and season with salt and black pepper.
Air Frying the Asparagus:
Carefully place the prepared asparagus in the preheated air fryer. Cook them for 8-10 minutes, making sure to shake the basket halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning. The asparagus should become tender, yet still retain a slight crispness.
Preparing the Butter and Almond Topping:
While the asparagus is cooking, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and cook them until they turn a beautiful golden brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Once the almonds are toasted, remove the pan from the heat.
Assembling and Serving:
Once the air-fried asparagus is done, transfer it to a serving platter. Drizzle the melted butter and almond mixture evenly over the asparagus spears. Next, sprinkle the chopped parsley over the dish, adding a burst of freshness and color. For an elegant touch, garnish with slices of lemon. Serve the air fryer asparagus immediately as a delightful side dish or a flavorful light appetizer.
This air fryer asparagus can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. If you can, try and store the asparagus separately without any toppings. Although the asparagus will become a bit soggy as it's stored, you can still crisp it back up in the air fryer. When you’re ready to reheat, add the asparagus back to the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes. Then, you can add fresh toppings to the reheated asparagus.
- White Asparagus - White asparagus is a sought-after part of spring produce throughout Europe. White asparagus is identical to green asparagus, except that white asparagus is never exposed to any sunlight. This growing technique makes white asparagus a little milder than green asparagus, giving this Ottolenghi asparagus recipe a fun twist.
- Add capers - in Ottolenghi's original recipe, he adds 3 tablespoon of capers to the dish while topping. You can also try this if looking to add a salty touch!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have an air fryer, feel free to roast your asparagus instead. Simply place the trimmed asparagus on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and and roast for 10-12 minutes in an oven set to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Absolutely! If you don't have fresh asparagus, you can toss the frozen asparagus into the air fryer straight from frozen for about 5 minutes to help soften them. Then, you can dress the asparagus before adding them back to the air fryer and letting them finish.
I like to make dinnertime easy with the air fryer. I serve this asparagus recipe alongside an excellent air fryer green bean casserole that I just love. Then, a simple protein like air fryer halloumi cheese or a cast iron salmon, and you're all set!
For more bright Spring recipes, check out these dishes:
Tried and loved this recipe? Please leave a 5-star review below! Your reviews mean a lot to me, so if you've got any questions, please let me know in a comment.
For more air fryer recipes:
- Air fryer tostones
- 2-ingredient air fryer plantain chips
- Air fryer Brussels sprouts
- Air fryer crispy tofu
Ottolenghi Air Fryer Asparagus with Butter, Almonds, Parsley and Lemon
- 1 lb asparagus
- cooking spray
- salt and black pepper
- 2 TB butter
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- ½ lemon sliced
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Wash the asparagus spears thoroughly and trim off the tough ends. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- Place the asparagus spears in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Lightly coat them with cooking spray and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the asparagus in the air fryer for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time for even browning. The asparagus should be tender but still slightly crisp.
- While the asparagus is cooking, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and cook until they turn golden brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Once the asparagus is done, transfer it to a serving platter. Drizzle the melted butter and almond mixture evenly over the asparagus.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the asparagus, and garnish with lemon slices.
- Serve the air fryer asparagus immediately as a side dish or as a light appetizer.