This spiced cauliflower soup will warm up your body and soothe your soul with toasted Middle Eastern flavours, caramelized onions and sweet golden raisins.
When everyone is going crazy with the first signs of winter, I crave a bowl of soup. (For best results, I make soup in a cast-iron dutch oven.)
Because soup goes through our bodies like the kindest manna from heaven, smooth and warm, and full of good-for-you-vitamins.
In fact, most people would say their grandmother's chicken soup is the best cure for a cold before they vouch for that NeoCitran, amiright?
The cure for all colds
Recently, one of my favourite bloggers recently referred to the first week of January as "the soupiest, salad-iest week on the internet."
I have seen many mouth-watering, delicious, healthy soups around the blogosphere lately. Add to this the horrible flu pandemic in some areas of North America, and you got a desperate call for soup.
As a homage to the "soupiest... week on the internet", I present to you my cure for the winter blues. A warming, fragrant spiced cauliflower soup with caramelized onions and raisins.
Because you can't be bored with a bowl of cumin-laced soup in your lap.
In fact, I'm pretty sure the Russian diet is made up of 60 per cent soup! The remaining 40 per cent is somehow split between meat, dairy and mayonnaise.
Soup happens to be one of my favourite things to eat, EVER, so I can't say I mind.
Since you're visiting a blog dedicated to Russian and Jewish recipes, you must feel the same way.
Middle Eastern spiced cauliflower soup
If you're looking for a soup with lots of cream, meat, and mass, this baby ain't for you. This soup won't make you want to nap in the midst of a busy day.
However, this soup will fill you up in the best way possible: nourishing, light, aromatic.
Instead, this spiced cauliflower soup will warm up your body and soothe your soul. Its toasted Middle Eastern flavours like cumin and coriander are nature's natural boost.
My spiced cauliflower soup will provide you with a dose of healthy, flu-fighting vitamins from lemon and garlic.
Finally, this Middle Eastern spiced cauliflower soup will brighten up your day with a generous sprinkle of sweet, plump, golden raisins.
In the end, you will be left holding a full-bodied bowl of the most comforting and fragrant spiced cauliflower soup ever, topped with caramelized onions and sweet golden raisins.
The perfect cure for a winter sickness.
Liked this post? Share it with your friends! For more At the Immigrant’s Table, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, or Twitter, subscribe to my mailing list, or contact me about advertising and becoming a sponsor. If you make one of my recipes, don't forget to tag it #immigrantstable @immigrantstable!
Middle Eastern spiced cauliflower soup with caramelized onions and raisins
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 4 TBs vegetable oil
- 2 TBs cumin seeds + 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 TB coriander seeds
- 3 tsp paprika
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 cups water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 TBs salt or more, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Dried golden raisins
- Mince garlic finely. Chop onion into bite-size pieces (no need to chop too finely).
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot (preferably a dutch oven) to medium heat. Add 2 TBs of oil. Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and 2 tsps of paprika, and let toast for a minute, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue sauteing until garlic turns golden, 2 more minutes.
- Add 2 more TBs of oil and chopped onion, and lower heat to low-medium. Cook the onion until it caramelizes, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. When done cooking, set aside ¾ cup of the onion-spice mixture.
- Meanwhile, cut up cauliflower roughly (remove the bottom of the stem, but no need to discard the stem - it will be fine in the soup). When onions have finished cooking, add cauliflower along with 8 cups of water and a bay leaf to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and continue simmering for 20 minutes.
- Blend soup completely with an immersion blender or in a standing blender (if doing the latter, let soup cool first!). Add 1 TB of ground cumin and 2 last tsps of paprika, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the soup. Taste, and correct seasonings as needed.
- When serving, top each bowl with a tablespoon of caramelized onions and a handful of golden raisins.